Haven House employs over a dozen full- and part-time staff to provide the best case management and support services to homeless families. See a list of current Haven House staff.
When staff positions become available, Haven House posts them here, as well as using a number of online job boards.
One of the best ways to start is by volunteering: many staff members began as volunteers with Haven House.
Position: Weekend Shelter Coordinator
Position Status: Hourly, Part-time
Summary of Functions
The Shelter Coordinator will work during daytime and evening hours and is responsible for monitoring shelter functions and solving problems that arise. The Shelter Coordinator will be working cooperatively with other staff members, volunteers, and student interns who are on duty during the day to clarify and share responsibilities and to enhance team functioning. In addition, the Shelter Coordinator will provide information in writing to other staff concerning resident issues, building issues and any other relevant matters. Providing such information will enable the rest of the staff to take appropriate action and will enhance the ability of the entire staff to function as a team and coordinate activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Daily and weekly meetings with residents
- Monitoring progress of residents
- Documenting information in files and logs
- Guiding residents through the intake/exit process
- Monitoring daily chore completion by residents
- Answering telephone calls from potential residents
- Completing phone intakes
- Greeting donors
- Working closely with volunteers
- Some basic computer data entry
- Attending weekly staff meetings
- Light cleaning and organizing duties
- Educating residents on available resources
- Communicating with staff from other agencies
- Other duties as assigned
The applicant must have excellent verbal/written communication skills and strong mediation/problem solving capabilities. Must be comfortable with working independently in a communal living setting. Must be able to work a flexible schedule that may include days, evenings, overnights, weekends, and holidays. Starting pay is $13/hour and will be re-evaluated after 90 days.
Education and Other Qualifications for the Position
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
- 1-2 years of Case Management experience and/or educational background in fields such as Social Work or Family and Community Services
- Pass criminal background check
- Car and valid Michigan Driver’s license required
20 hours per week. Hours alternate weekly: Friday and Saturday 2pm-11pm/Saturday and Sunday 7:30am-4:30pm. Weekly staff meetings Wednesdays from 1-3pm. ON-CALL AVAILABILITY IS REQUIRED 7 DAYS IN A TWO WEEK PERIOD.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Meghan Rhoades, Shelter Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org