Haven House employs over a dozen full- and part-time staff to provide the best case management and support services to homeless families. See a list of current Haven House staff. When staff positions become available, Haven House posts them here, as well as using a number of online job boards.
One of the best ways to start is by volunteering: many staff members began as volunteers with Haven House.
To apply for an open position: email your cover letter and resumé.
Summary of Functions
The Overnight Attendant will oversee the homeless shelter for emergencies and perform routine tasks during the overnight hours, 11pm-8am. Looking for a person who is hard-working, dependable, and reliable. Must have excellent communication and time management skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
Education and Other Qualifications for the Position
- Shift exchange with the staff working the 4pm-11pm shift
- Complete bed checks to verify all residents who are supposed to be in shelter are present
- Perform lock up procedures and complete Checklist for 11pm Lockup form
- Complete all tasks on the Checklist of Duties during every shift and complete form
- Organize areas of shelter
- Put all donations away in proper location
- Wash, dry and put away linens
- Janitorial and cleaning tasks including dusting, sweeping and mopping
- Light maintenance
- Prepare building for inspections
- Handle any issues/problems/emergencies throughout the night
- Complete Incident Reports as needed
- Supervise and assist residents by remaining in the building during the entire shift
- Make sure building is properly maintained and functioning
- Walk through building at least once every shift
- Make sure office is clean and orderly
- Write in Staff Communication Log
- Perform other duties necessary to keep shelter functioning properly
- Communicate each day with next Shelter Coordinator on duty to be appraised of any particular issues from the overnight shift
- Other tasks as requested
1. Pass Criminal background check.
2. Possess a valid Michigan Driver’s License
3. Janitorial/professional cleaning experience
4. Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds and walk up and down multiple flights of stairs
5. Weekend and holiday availability required.